In this article, I will explain how to optimize this element and the best practices for an SEO title that is attractive for visitors and SEO-friendly for Google.
What is an SEO Title Tag, and Why Optimize It?
The SEO title, or SEO title tag, is an HTML element that specifies the title of a web page. This element is shown by the search engine in the SERP snippet, is clickable, and is important as an SEO factor and for conversions.
The SEO title tag, or SEO title tag, is a very powerful SEO factor for Google. If you take care of it and optimize it for SEO, you can improve the Google ranking of your websites.
Why SEO Page Titles Are Important
Well, you understand that the Title is important for users.
Now I’ll explain why the Title is important (VERY important) for Google too.
Explaining it to you is really simple: the Title is also very important for Google because it explains what the page content is and what the page is about.
In essence, the Title of a web page suggests to Google for which topic that page should be authoritative (and therefore positioned).
For this reason, the Title is the SECOND MOST IMPORTANT SEO positioning factor of a web page after the content.
The Title is important for both Users and Google
From what I have just explained to you, you understand that the Title has a lot of importance for both users and search engines:
- For users, it is important because it allows them to understand in advance (in the Google SERPs or on Social Networks) what the content of the page is. And therefore, a good title INCREASES the percentage of visits to a web page, while a badly written title decreases them,
- For Google it is important because, in a nutshell, the Title tells it what keyword we want our page to rank for. And therefore, a well-written title increases the chances of positioning us on Google, and on the contrary, getting the Title wrong risks penalizing the organic visibility of your content.
As a result of what has been said, we are faced with a difficult mission: to write a title that appeals to both users and Google.
It is not easy, but perhaps by reading this article, we improve it.
How to make an effective SEO title
1. Enter Keywords
As I said a little above, the SEO title is very important within web positioning, so it is necessary to enter keywords in it.
You should not use just any keyword, but the one that is most relevant and important. In this way, you are optimizing the content for the most difficult and interesting keyword to a position.
Of course, for the Title to be effective and attract more visits, try to be as descriptive and realistic to the content that is on that page. Thus, the user will find what he was looking for and will obtain a positive experience.
2. Title length
It is very important that the title tag is optimized, and one of the most important elements is that it is the correct length and that the ellipses do not appear.
The perfect length of SEO titles ranges from 55 to 70 characters.
3. Rich content
Today many Rich Snippets elements are used that serve to decorate the Title and make it stand out from the competition. These elements are usually symbols that attract the attention of users and therefore improve the CTR of SEO titles.
4. Importance from left to right
As a general rule, people read from left to right; this means that if you put the keyword on the left side (at the beginning of the SEO title), it has more force to convince users.
5. No Spam
The SEO title is very important to convince users to enter your website, so it is important not to create titles using only keywords that do not make sense. This way, you will only make the user drop your site.
6. <title> tag different from <H1>
Take advantage of the fact that the Title <H1> is within the content and that it has no character limit to create a title for the content that is longer, and you can enter a longer secondary keyword.
7. A different SEO title for each page
Each page or entry must be oriented to different content. Therefore, the titles must be different and show keywords that do not appear in other content.
If you use similar SEO titles on different pages, you send signals to Google that several of your content want to rank for the same term. With this, what you are doing is competing with yourself, that is, content cannibalization.
Visit this article: SEO basics: A beginner’s guide.
How to change the SEO title in WordPress
It is very common in SEO to review articles that we have been writing to improve their positioning and optimize them to increase visits. On many occasions, the < Title> tag is also improved or changed, but how do you change the SEO title in WordPress?
The Yoast SEO Plugin makes changing the SEO title in WordPress very easy. All you have to do is:
- Enter the Page or Entry you want to change the Title of.
- At the bottom is the Yoast SEO box. You can see in the section “Google preview.”
- Change the “SEO title” section and update the page.
- Once the page is updated, you will have already changed the SEO title of the page or post, but this will not be effective at the moment. For the change to be effective, Google must crawl the page again. Until you do, the previous SEO title will continue to appear.
The SEO title is one of the most important elements in web positioning, so you should stop and dedicate time to make it the best possible. Remember to use the most important keyword, which is the right length, and add decorative elements to make it stand out from the rest.
We advise you to read: Tips SEO on WordPress website.